Welcome to Thinking Inside the Box
Living or working in sectional title can be daunting. We understand. The legislation is complex and many people feel disempowered through not knowing enough about it … we are here to help!
Created by Jennifer Paddock, and driven by the team at Paddocks, this blog is here to inform, teach and delight you on all things sectional title. We ultimately hope that the information we provide here will empower owners, trustees and chairpersons involved in sectional title, through better understanding their rights and duties, helping them to increase the value of their properties and create harmonious relations with their neighbours.
What do we do and more importantly, what can we do for you?
Paddocks is a specialist sectional title and home owners’ association firm that provides a range of products and services to anyone professionally or personally involved in these schemes.
Our online courses:
- UCT Scheme Manager – Sectional Title short course – This 3-month part-time online course will introduce you to the legal aspects of scheme management and equip you to manage schemes based on the Sectional Titles Act and Sectional Title Schemes Management Act..
- Home Owners’ Association Management short course – This 10-week course presented online covers the law relating to home owners’ associations established as non-profit companies as well as those established as common law associations.
- Dispute Resolution in Community Schemes short course – This 8-week short course will give students an understanding of the various types of community schemes and how disputes that arise in them can be resolved, by the parties themselves or with the assistance of the Community Schemes Ombud Service (“CSOS“).
- Sectional Title Bridging short course – This 4-week Sectional Title Bridging short course is for people who are already familiar with the scheme management provisions of the Sectional Titles Act (the “ST Act”) and need to know what has changed under the Sectional Titles Schemes Management Act (the “STSM Act”) in order to perform their duties and responsibilities effectively and efficiently.
- Sectional Title Trustee Training short course – This 4-week online course will provide you with an introduction to the administrative, financial, legal and physical aspects of sectional title scheme management and the trustees’ role therein.
- Free Basics of Sectional Title short course – This 1-week online course will give you a broad overview of the applicable terms and concepts in sectional title. It’s also a great way for you to try out our learning platform before deciding whether to register for one of our more comprehensive courses.
- Free Basics of Home Owners Association short course – This 1-week online course is for anyone who wants a basic overview of a home owners’ association. You could be the owner of a property and want to understand your responsibilities versus those of the HOA.
Our corporate training:
- UCT Sectional Title Meetings short course – This practical 4-week online course deals extensively with all facets of the law applicable to sectional title meetings: prescribed management rules, the law of associations, the law of meetings and the common law.
- Sectional Title Specialist Estate Agent short course – This 8-week online course will teach you the legal aspects of sectional title property sales so you can better understand how to serve your sellers and buyers and ultimately do your job with a higher level of expertise.
Our support services:
- Paddocks Club is a sectional title and community scheme training initiative headed by Adjunct Prof Graham Paddock. It is an exclusive ongoing learning community driven by personalised support and coaching.
- Private Consulting is a service that provides bespoke expert advice, opinions and drafting, relevant to your particular community scheme issue by Prof. Graham Paddock, Anton Kelly, Dr Carryn Melissa Durham or Zerlinda van der Merwe.
- The Sectional Title Survival Manual, now in its 8th edition, provides an easily understandable breakdown of the minefield of legislation and law related to sectional titles. It is a standard reference book used by managing agencies, property firms as well as chairpersons, trustees and owners around the country.
- The Home Owners’ Associations Survival Manual, gives role-players involved in HOAs a comprehensive understanding of how the Companies Act relates to HOAs established as non-profit companies and how the common law relates to HOAs established as common law associations.
- The Sectional Title Meetings Handbook is an easy-to-use guide for chairpersons, trustees, owners and managing agents who want to empower themselves with the knowledge of how to call, conduct and manage sectional title meetings correctly.
- The Sectional Title Templates Book is an essential reference book for anyone who lives in, owns, or manages sectional title. It provides a comprehensive list of templates that are needed in the day-to-day activities of sectional title schemes.
- The Sectional Titles Act and Rules Book provides a comprehensive subject index that allows readers to quickly find specific provisions of the Act and Prescribed Rules that apply to a particular subject or issue.
- The Sectional Titles Schemes Management Bridging Course Notes highlights the most fundamental amendments contained in the Sectional Titles Schemes Management Act 8 of 2011 (“the STSM Act”).Watch this space! Further publications are in the Paddocks pipeline…
- Paddocks Press with over 15 000 subscribers, this is a free monthly digital newsletter published to educate and update the sectional title and HOA community.
- Sectional Titles Online provides a platform for sectional title-related questions to be discussed by members of the sectional title community.
Who are we?
Paddocks is a specialist sectional title and home owners’ association firm based in Cape Town. It is lead by expert community scheme attorney and Adjunct Professor Graham Paddock who is an authority on the subject of sectional titles and other community schemes having specialised in this area for over 40 years. Graham is the head legal adviser to the government Department of Human Settlements in the overhaul of the sectional title legislation. He has been the lead consultant to the DHS in the drafting of the pending Sectional Titles Scheme Management Act as well as the Community Schemes Ombudsmen Service Act.
Graham is assisted by specialist teacher and consultant Anton Kelly, who has trained under Graham for over 9 years as well as highly qualified admitted Attorneys, Dr Carryn Melissa Durham and Zerlinda van der Merwe.
Paddocks is further driven by a team of passionate people with extensive skills in education, marketing and information technology.
For more information, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call +27(0) 21 686 3950
All articles are published under the Creative Commons Attribution licence.